Most recipes call for a flank steak, however…I am surrounded by Carnicerias (Mexican Meat Markets), so it’s most often skirt steak here.
I cut it in strips and put in teriyaki marinade for at least an hour; I usually do it in the morning. Homemade teriyaki sauce is MUCH better than store bought. Below is approximately what I use, I adjust everything to my family’s preferences. Save remainder of marinade to brush on skewers when done. ALSO, I must add that I made these under broiler in Ninja Air Fryer Oven.. I stole this from stolen recipes 😜 ⤵️
- 1 ½ lb flank steak
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 12 wooden skewers 16 inch
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp ginger minced
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- Cut flank steak across the grain into ¼ inch thick slices. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place skewers in water to cover and soak at least 10 minutes.
- Combine sauce ingredients in small saucepan and whisk. Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring to boil while whisking. It should thicken. Remove from heat.
- Thread beef onto the skewers about 2 pieces per skewer. Place the skewers on grill over medium-high heat (350 to 400 F) and brush generously with teriyaki sauce on both sides. Cook 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and parsley.
Then I made Saffron Rice –
I’m racking my brains here because I never follow a recipe‼️ I like when rice starts to brown or get crispy on bottom and/or edges, so I tried this out and it worked‼️‼️‼️ I put both butter and evoo in pan, sautéed onion and red pepper, then added a cup of rice and coated it in the oils, slightly toasted, then I added 2 cups of water (that I added Better than Bouillon chicken base to), pinch of salt, pinch of Saffron threads, brought to boil, turned to low, covered with lid (using a piece of dough to cover hole in my lid 🙄; from piece of wet bread 🤭), and let cook for 25 minutes. I checked on it, it was done, so I turned burner off, but left pan on burner while I made the beef Skewers. When I checked on rice….the bottom had just started to brown. That’s what I wanted. Okay so I was craving tahdig or crispy rice, but didn’t feel like doing all that. All i can say is that we (me & my family) loved this meal.