Recipe from The Spruce Eats
For the Meatballs:
- 1 1/2 cups soft breadcrumbs, from about 3 slices bread
- 1 tablespoon minced dried onion, or 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, or allspice
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the Gravy:
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 cup half-and-half, or light cream
MISE EN PLACE
Combine the breadcrumbs, onion, salt, pepper, nutmeg or allspice, and milk in a large mixing bowl. Let the milk soak into the crumbs for a few minutes.
Gently stir in the ground beef until well blended. Form the mixture into 1-inch meatballs.
Melt the butter along with the vegetable oil in a large skillet or sauté pan; brown the meatballs (in batches if necessary), and then remove them with a slotted spoon to a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
Make the Gravy
- Gather the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Drain off all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings from the skillet. Stir in the flour and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until bubbly
- Add the beef broth and half-and-half or light cream. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens, for 1 minute.